Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano Official for May as Netflix Enters Live MMA Business

Two of the most influential names in women’s MMA are stepping back into the cage — and this time, the world will be watching on Netflix.

Most Valuable Promotions (MVP) and Netflix have announced that former UFC Bantamweight Champion and former WWE Superstar Ronda Rousey will come out of retirement to face Gina Carano in a long-awaited dream fight. The bout is set for Saturday, May 16 at the Intuit Dome in Los Angeles, California.

The contest will take place at featherweight (145 pounds), contested over five five-minute rounds under the Unified Rules of MMA. The fight will be held inside a hexagon cage with 4oz gloves and streamed live globally on Netflix at no additional cost to subscribers. The event marks Netflix’s first-ever live MMA broadcast and MVP’s debut MMA promotion.

For longtime fight fans, this matchup feels surreal. Years ago, when Rousey was dominating the UFC and Carano had shifted her focus toward Hollywood, the UFC reportedly attempted to make the fight happen. Negotiations ultimately fell apart, with Carano previously pointing fingers at UFC President Dana White. Now, nearly two decades after Carano last fought and nearly ten years since Rousey’s final MMA appearance, the clash is finally becoming reality.

Rousey, 39, last competed in MMA at UFC 207 in December 2016, where she was defeated by Amanda Nunes. Following that loss, she pivoted to professional wrestling, signing with WWE and quickly becoming one of the company’s biggest attractions. She was part of the first-ever women’s main event at WrestleMania 35 in 2019 and remained a headline name before parting ways with WWE in 2023. Her most recent wrestling appearance came in November 2023, when she teamed with Marina Shafir in Ring of Honor.

Carano, now 43, hasn’t fought since 2009, when she was stopped by Cris Cyborg in Strikeforce. Despite the loss, Carano’s impact on women’s MMA is undeniable — widely regarded as the sport’s first true female crossover star, she helped lay the groundwork that allowed fighters like Rousey to break into the UFC spotlight.

In a statement accompanying the announcement, Rousey didn’t hold back.

“Me and Gina Carano are gonna throw down in the biggest super fight in women’s combat sport history!” she said, adding that the partnership with MVP and Netflix will deliver something special for MMA fans past and present.

Carano echoed the sentiment, revealing that Rousey personally reached out to make the fight happen and thanked her for opening doors earlier in her career. Carano said she expects to win but anticipates a difficult battle, calling the moment an honor for both fighters and the MMA community.

MVP co-founders Jake Paul and Nakisa Bidarian framed the bout as a historic step in expanding their combat sports footprint beyond boxing, while Netflix’s VP of Sports, Gabe Spitzer, described the fight as a defining moment for the streaming platform following its success in live boxing events.

Additional fights for the card are expected to be announced in the coming weeks. Tickets go on sale Thursday, March 5 at 10 a.m. PT / 1 p.m. ET via Ticketmaster, with pre-sale registration currently available.

For wrestling fans, this marks another fascinating chapter in Rousey’s unpredictable career. After conquering UFC, breaking barriers in WWE, and stepping away from the spotlight, “Rowdy” Ronda Rousey is heading back to the cage for one more massive spotlight moment — this time against the woman who helped start it all.

Ronda Rousey Biopic Finds New Life at Netflix with Director Augustine Frizzell

After years of uncertainty, the long-awaited Ronda Rousey biopic is officially back in the spotlight — and it’s heading to Netflix. According to a new report from Deadline, director Augustine Frizzell has signed on to helm the film, which is based on Rousey’s memoirs My Fight/Your Fight and Our Fight.

The biopic, which has been in development limbo since 2015, was originally in the works at Paramount after the studio secured the rights to Rousey’s first memoir. However, following a string of behind-the-scenes management shake-ups, the project was shelved and largely forgotten — until now.

Netflix has picked up the rights and given the green light to a fresh vision, with Frizzell reportedly impressing execs and producers with her passionate pitch for the story. A longtime admirer of Rousey, Frizzell dove deep into both memoirs even before her initial meeting, and sources say she instantly knew this was a film she had to direct.

But perhaps the most surprising twist? Rousey herself reportedly penned the script. After reading through several drafts from other writers and not quite connecting with any of them, the former UFC and WWE star took matters into her own hands. In just seven days, she wrote a version that stunned her agents — a move that reflects her trademark all-or-nothing approach, whether in the octagon, the ring, or now, in Hollywood.

Frizzell’s growing relationship with Netflix makes her a natural fit for the project. She’s currently set to direct half the episodes of the upcoming Netflix sci-fi series The Boroughs, and her collaboration with the streamer seems to be just getting started.

As of now, casting details and a release window for the Rousey biopic haven’t been announced, but with momentum finally back on its side — and with Rousey herself writing the script — fans could soon see her real-life fight story play out on the small screen.

Stay tuned to WrestlingNewsBlog.com for more updates as this project develops.

Ex-WWE Star Ronda Rousey Posts Lengthy Apology For Propagating Sandy Hook Conspiracies

Former WWE and UFC star Ronda Rousey has posted a lengthy statement, apologizing for spreading misinformation regarding the Sandy Hook tragedy.

In 2013, Rousey posted a video that propagated conspiracy theories of the Sandy Hook massacre, that she later deleted. Rousey has now apologized for her comments, calling it the “single most regrettable decision” of her life. She added that she deserved to be “hated” for pushing the conspiracy theories and that she deserved to be canceled.

“I apologize that this came 11 years too late, but to those affected by the Sandy Hook massacre, from the bottom of my heart and the depth of my soul I am so sort for the hurt I caused. I can’t even begin to imagine the pain you’ve endured and words cannot describe how thoroughly remorseful and ashamed I am of myself for contributing to it. I’ve regretted it every day of my life since and will continue to do so until the day I die,” said Rousey.

In her post, she also pleaded with those who peddle such conspiracy theories to refrain from doing so, stating that it only hurts others, and advised them to not go down that road. Rousey wasn’t the only pro wrestler who propagated such theories as another former WWE star Brian Kendrick also alleged that the Sandy Hook tragedy was a hoax. Rousey’s controversial theories were also used during her feud with Natalya, when the WWE star mentioned it on Twitter/X.

Source: Wrestling Inc.

Ronda Rousey – ‘I Wish I Wrestled In The Triple H Era Of WWE And Not Vince McMahon’

Ronda Rousey would have loved to wrestle under the new Triple H era of WWE.

While speaking with Denise Salcedo of “Instinct Culture,” Rousey looked back at her WWE in-ring debut at WrestleMania 34. She said,

“It was an incredible introduction. Part of me wishes the time that I wrestled would have been in the Triple H era and not the Vince (McMahon) era because he [HHH] was the one that believed in me from the very beginning.”

She continued, “I’ve been hearing incredible things about how he’s running stuff now. It was such an experience.”

Rousey was last seen at WWE SummerSlam 2023.

Source: eWn

Former WWE Announcer Goes Off On Ronda Rousey Following Recent Comments

Ronda Rousey has been in the news a lot over the past few weeks, as she’s had a number of things to say about her time in both WWE and UFC. Rousey’s comments come following the release of a new book in which she reveals the toxic culture backstage in WWE, her disdain for former WWE Chairman Vince McMahon, and multiple concussion-related issues that she hid from people in order to keep fighting and wrestling. Now, former WWE commentator Jimmy Smith has fired back.

Speaking on SiriusXM’s “Unlocking the Cage” on Wednesday, Smith said Rousey is the type of person who wants all of the credit for her successes and none of the blame for her failures, and took issue with the logic of her claim that she chose WWE over UFC because of her issues with concussions. Smith then launched into a profanity-laden rant about how Rousey is perceived by her co-workers.

“Ronda, if you are listening,” Smith began. “The people behind the scenes, camera people, audio people, the people you can push around, the people you can bully, and the people you can talk down to can’t stand your f*ing a. Everybody behind the scenes that had to put a mic on Ronda Rousey couldn’t stand her.”

Rousey’s first WWE run was already over by the time Smith signed there in 2021; she returned in January 2022, however, and the two were concurrently active until Smith was dismissed from WWE in October 2022. Similarly, Smith’s brief stint as a UFC commentator didn’t begin until 2018, well after Rousey’s heyday as a fighter, something he readily admitted during the show. Nonetheless, Smith had ample opportunity to speak to various UFC crew members who he claimed were only too happy to witness Rousey’s 2015-26 fall from grace in the MMA world.

“They were cheering when she got knocked out,” Smith said. “Because those are the people you can be mean to and rude to, and they can’t fight back. Those people couldn’t stand Ronda Rousey … She didn’t have one defender. She didn’t have one person who went ‘She was alright.’ Everyone was like ‘She was horrible, we were thrilled when she got crushed.'”

Source: Wrestling Inc. with credit to SiriusXM’s “Unlocking the Cage”

Backstage Update On Drew Gulak’s WWE Status

No Quarter Catch Crew has been missing a member as of late, as faction founder Drew Gulak has been missing from WWE programming, and presumed dead in storyline. Even his name has disappeared from the No Quarter Catch Crew entrance graphics on “WWE NXT.” On the latest “Wrestling Observer Radio,” Dave Meltzer said the reason for his absence is Ronda Rousey’s recent allegations that the former WWE Cruiserweight Champion put his hands on her clothing without her consent.

“What I was told was that there was no conclusive thing,” Meltzer said. “The witnesses were not conclusive…but Gulak was bad publicity, so he got whacked.” Rousey alleged that Gulak grabbed the drawstring on her sweatpants, while Gulak is adamant he merely missed a handshake and tried to turn the awkward situation into a joke. As it stands, Gulak is still with the company, though Meltzer thinks that could change soon.

“I don’t know that he’s been fired but when I asked it was like ‘Well, if he hasn’t been, he probably will be,'” Meltzer chuckled. “It’s not looking good for him.”

No Quarter Catch Crew is currently feuding with The D’Angelo Family, with Tony D’Angelo claiming the Catch Crew hired The Family to take out Gulak and never paid for the hit. Gulak wasn’t just pulled from “WWE NXT,” as the former 24/7 Champion was also pulled from various WrestleMania Weekend events, including the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony, where Gulak was reportedly set to sit near a friend of Rousey’s.

Source: Wrestling Inc.

WWE NXT Star Drew Gulak Makes Statement On Backstage Incident With Ronda Rousey

As the lawsuit against Vince McMahon alleging sex trafficking and abuse continues to move forward, stories of WWE’s backstage culture over the years have continued to emerge. Among the most outspoken about WWE’s culture is former WWE star Ronda Rousey, who has called out McMahon, Bruce Prichard, and several others for their previous behavior.

Rousey saved her most explosive revelation for a Tuesday appearance on “Banfield,” where she claimed WWE star Drew Gulak grabbed the strings of her sweatpants and attempted to pull them as he walked by. The incident, which occurred in front of Bruce Prichard and a WWE writer, who showed no reaction, left Rousey taken aback by Gulak’s actions, and she would later confront him over the incident, leading to Gulak apologizing.

One day after Rousey’s “Banfield” appearance, Gulak responded, taking to X to give his version of events.

“Backstage at a WWE event in 2022, I saw Ronda talking with a group in the hallway,” Gulak tweeted. “I stopped to say hi and shake all their hands, and in an attempt to shake her hand, I accidentally touched her drawstring. Complete accident, and one that I had apologized to her for the mishap.”

Rousey has yet to comment regarding Gulak’s version of events, while WWE has yet to acknowledge either Rousey or Gulak’s statement. Signed by WWE following the Cruiserweight Classic in 2016, Gulak currently works on WWE’s “NXT” brand as the leader of the No Quarter Catch Crew stable. He most recently competed on “NXT” TV two weeks ago, defeating Riley Osborne in a Heritage Cup match.

Source: Wrestling Inc.

Former WWE Star Ronda Rousey Goes Off About Incident With NXT’s Drew Gulak

With the recent release of her book, “Our Fight: A Memoir,” Ronda Rousey has been discussing the years she spent in WWE, and not always in the most positive manner. Appearing last night on NewsNation’s “Banfield,” Rousey discussed an uncomfortable incident involving WWE star Drew Gulak.

“One time, I was waiting to go talk to Triple H in the writers’ room or something,” Rousey said. “I was standing there with Bruce Prichard and another one of the writers and — God, I forgot his name. … This guy that I was barely an acquaintance with grabs the string of my sweatpants as I’m walking by.”

Rousey later recalled the individual as Gulak, who currently appears on “WWE NXT” as a member of the No Quarter Catch Crew. The former WWE star remembers Gulak holding onto the string of her sweatpants and walking in another direction while other WWE officials stood nearby and had no strong reaction.

“I’m just like, ‘What the f*** was that?'” Rousey continued. “Why are you grabbing the string of my sweatpants? If my husband was standing here next to me, would you feel comfortable walking up to me and grabbing the string of my sweatpants? And nobody around me acted like … it was abnormal.”

Being shocked that something like that would happen to her, a high-profile star, in plain view of other people, Rousey remembered wondering what kind of things were happening to other women in the company behind closed doors. To Rousey, it seemed as though the issue was so prevalent in WWE that it was seen as an everyday part of the company’s culture. Rather than letting things go, Rousey said that she went to speak to Gulak about what had happened.
 
“I went and confronted him later and I was like, ‘If I ever hear about you putting your hands on any other woman like this or doing anything like this to me ever again, … we’re gonna have a problem,'” Rousey said. “He was like, ‘No, no, no. I’m glad you said something.’ He really backpedaled … but it just put a really sour taste in my mouth about the culture there and what’s considered acceptable.”

Rousey signed with WWE in 2017 after wrapping up her MMA career and made her debut in 2018. She wrestled 142 matches in WWE before departing the company in 2023, stating that she was going to retire. Rousey later performed at several independent shows and on an episode of Ring of Honor but has otherwise stayed away from wrestling.

Source: Wrestling Inc. with credit to NewsNation’s “Banfield,”

Ronda Rousey Says She Doesn’t Intend To Return To WWE

Ronda Rousey says she has no intent on making a return to the WWE ring. Rousey has been away from the company since she lost to Shayna Baszler at SummerSlam 2023. She has a new book, Our Fight, releasing on April 4th in which she is deeply critical of Vince McMahon and in a new interview with Never Before Told promoting the book, she was asked what kind of backstage information fans would learn from the book.

“How much of an absolute shit show it is at the WWE because they can’t hold the story over my head and hold me hostage with my own career,” Rousey replied (per Fightful). “I don’t need anything from them and I don’t intend on going back, so I can say everything that I think and feel while everybody else is still held captive by their organization.”

Rousey had two runs with the Smackdown Women’s Championship, one with the Raw Women’s Championship and one with the Women’s Tag Team Championship during her two stints in the company.

Source: 411Mania

Ronda Rousey To Appear At WrestleCon Philadelphia

Ronda Rousey is scheduled to appear in Philadelphia during WrestleMania 40 weekend for WrestleCon. Fans can catch her at WrestleCon from April 4 – 7 for autograph signings.

She recently competed in a WWE match against Shayna Baszler at SummerSlam, which resulted in a loss.

Since then, Rousey had been doing independent wrestling events in late 2023.

Source: eWn