MJF Considering Surgery Following AEW Worlds End

AEW concluded the year with its Worlds End 2023 pay-per-view event at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale, New York, on Saturday night, where AEW World Heavyweight Champion MJF defended against Samoa Joe.

Prior to the match, MJF was dealing with injuries to his shoulder and hip, leading to expectations of him taking a break following the event. Joe’s win and capturing the title were always part of AEW’s plans and not because of MJF’s injuries. 

Dave Meltzer noted on Wrestling Observer Radio that MJF is debating whether to do rehab or get shoulder surgery.

Source: eWn

AEW World Champ MJF Won’t Get Surgery, Thinks He Can Work ‘Careful Matches Or Smoke And Mirrors Matches’

MJF is currently dealing with two significant injuries — a torn labrum and a dislocated hip — but the AEW World Champion reportedly plans to work through the pain. According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, MJF won’t be getting surgery to fix either injury, and will instead be undergoing stem cell therapy and rehab to get ready for his title defense against Samoa Joe at Worlds End.

The 27-year-old reportedly opted against surgery, as going under the knife would put him on the shelf for a couple of months. It’s presently unknown if MJF plans to work any more matches before his clash against Joe, but WON notes MJF believes he can deliver “careful matches or smoke and mirrors matches” in the lead-up to AEW’s last pay-per-view of 2023. This injury isn’t new to MJF, as he worked through a torn labrum at Double or Nothing 2020, where he wrestled Jack Perry in a critically acclaimed match between two of AEW’s four pillars. However, the tear he’s dealing with currently is said to be worse than his previous one.

MJF announced the news of his shoulder injury via X, informing fans an MRI revealed he had suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder. According to Dave Meltzer, MJF suffered the tear while on the receiving end of a top rope Uranage from Jay White at Full Gear, aggravating his already injured shoulder in the process. As for the hip injury, MJF got hurt while delivering an elbow drop off the top rope to White on the floor. The original intent was for White to be placed on the announce table rather than the floor, which would have broken MJF’s fall, but the table collapsed prematurely. MJF dislocated his hip later in the match, and since then, Meltzer’s sources say that his swelling has subsided but he continues to deal with pain. 

Source: Wrestling Inc.

Report – MJF Suffering From A Torn Labrum

MJF is reportedly dealing with a torn labrum.

Fightful Select is reporting that the reigning AEW World Champion took to Twitter today to announce that he got an MRI done and tore the labrum in his left shoulder. The tweet, which has since been deleted, said he’d be ready for the December 30th Worlds End pay-per-view event and closed with “I believe in AEW.”

It’s worth noting that MJF was telling people last week that he believed he had torn his shoulder. While there is no word on whether the MRI comments are legit, it appears the injury is the real deal.

Finally, it was added that the injury occurred while MJF was performing a top rope uranage at Full Gear 2023. He is currently undergoing treatment and is hoping to avoid surgery.

UPDATE

MJF sustained real injuries during the main event of the AEW Full Gear 2023 pay-per-view.

He suffered a hip injury that required popping back in and a shoulder injury, which is a torn labrum. MJF will be avoiding surgery and doing rehab instead to make sure he doesn’t miss any time, including his World Heavyweight Title defense against Samoa Joe at Worlds End.

Dave Meltzer reported on Wrestling Observer Radio that MJF is still experiencing a lot of pain in his hip and has significant swelling around it. MJF had the same tear in his labrum when he wrestled Jack Perry at Double or Nothing in 2020, but the tear is more severe this time.

Source: eWn

Details On AEW Champion MJF’s Legitimate Injury At Full Gear

MJF successfully retained the AEW World Championship against Bullet Club Gold’s Jay White this past weekend at the AEW Full Gear 2023 pay-per-view. According to Bryan Alvarez of the “Wrestling Observer Radio” show, MJF suffered a dislocated hip during that main event title clash. The injury reportedly occurred when “The Salt of the Earth” performed an elbow drop from the ring to the floor. The move was supposed to be through the announce table, but the table broke when MJF placed White on top of it.

Alvarez said that MJF ended up having his hip put back into place, but he is now dealing with a “very, very painful” hip injury and a shoulder injury. However, it’s said that MJF will not miss any time.

MJF was involved in an injury angle this past weekend at Full Gear. On the Zero Hour pre-show, Austin and Colten Gunn injured MJF’s leg with a steel chair after they unsuccessfully challenged “The Salt of the Earth” and Samoa Joe, who was filling in for the injured Adam Cole, for ROH World Tag Team Championship. MJF was stretchered out of the arena and taken away in an ambulance. 

During the Full Gear pay-per-view, Tony Schiavone was set to announce White as the new AEW World Champion by default, but Cole stepped in and said he would defend the belt on MJF’s behalf. MJF ultimately returned, driving the ambulance he was placed in earlier in the evening, to defend the world title right before the main event was due to get underway.

Source: Wrestling Inc.

MJF Has Had Zero Talks With WWE, Believed To Have Re-Signed With AEW

In the past, AEW World Heavyweight Champion MJF made a big deal about his AEW contract expiring in early 2024 and potentially leaving for WWE if they offered him more money.

However, according to Nick Hausman of Haus of Wrestling, multiple WWE sources now believe that MJF has re-signed with AEW, with one high-ranking WWE source claiming that there have been no discussions between the two parties.

The report noted, “They further noted that the idea Friedman is set to enter free agency imminently is a “false narrative” and that they believe he has re-signed into 2027.”

“This is a completely in his head storyline,” one WWE source said. “1000%,” another WWE source stated. “I was told a while ago he is under a long-term deal, which is why they stopped pushing the 2024 stuff.”

Source: eWn

MJF Joins Cast Of Von Erich Family Biopic “The Iron Claw”

According to Deadline, AEW star MJF has joined the cast of A24’s “The Iron Claw.”

It has been reported by PWInsider, that MJF is playing the role of Lance Von Erich in the film.

The movie is about the legendary and WWE Hall of Fame Von Erich wrestling family. The cast currently includes Zac Efron, Jeremy Allen White, Holt McCallany, Harris Dickinson, Maura Tierney and Lily James.

There is no official release date for the film.

During an interview with Notsam Wrestling, MJF said he booked a huge movie role. He also said that Warner Brothers Discovery is coming up with non-wrestling roles for him.

Source: WrestleView

Update On MJF’S AEW Status

The future of AEW star Maxwell Jacob Friedman — or MJF as he’s better known — has been up in the air for quite some time. The 26-year-old has been open about the possibility of jumping ship to WWE when his AEW contract expires in 2024, and his backstage issues in recent months have been well-documented.

MJF has been absent from AEW television since the episode of “Dynamite” that aired on June 1. His last appearance saw him take to the mic and air his grievances with Tony Khan for spending millions on ex-WWE superstars while leaving him in the lurch. The promo culminated with MJF begging Khan to fire him before calling him a “f***ing mark.” It’s been radio silence ever since.

However, it appears that MJF could be heading back to television in the near future, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. No specific date has been reported as of this writing, though it’s speculated that he could return in the coming weeks as AEW will soon be negotiating a new television deal with Warner Bros. Discovery, and the September TV ratings could be crucial in securing acceptable terms.

The report noted that AEW’s ratings have been down in recent times and the wrestling world has undergone significant changes following the retirement of Vince McMahon. WWE has a lot of momentum right now, so AEW needs “all hands on deck” as soon as possible.

Elsewhere, the report noted that MJF versus CM Punk could be on the cards when the former returns to action. Punk tried to confront MJF following the aforementioned shoot promo on June 1, potentially setting up another angle between them. However, given that CM Punk is reportedly unhappy in AEW at the moment, there is no telling what will happen.

Source: Wrestling Inc.

MJF Asks Tony Khan To Fire Him As AEW Cuts His Mic On Dynamite

Max Friedman asked AEW to fire him during a passionate shoot (?) promo on the June 1 edition of AEW Dynamite on TBS.

MJF picked up a mic on live TV for the first time since the news of backstage hostility between himself and AEW higher-ups broke … and he did not disappoint. It all went down at the Kia Forum in Los Angeles on June 1. The man who lost, emphatically, to his former valet Wardlow at Double Or Nothing last Sunday came to the ring during this week’s edition of AEW Dynamite on TBS and made his feeling known to the world.

Speaking as Max Friedman (his real name) MJF cut a (presumably) worked-shoot promo in which he rated about how he isn’t being paid what he deserves because AEW president Tony Khan can’t stop spending money on ex-WWE guys. He had a lot to get off his chest, and he held nothing back. MJF also pointed out that there were some important Warner Bros. Discovery execs in attendance, and seemingly threatened to derail the show in an attempt to get under TK’s skin. Mission accomplished.

Toward the end of the segment, MJF begged Tony Khan to fire him as he didn’t want to wait another two years to leave AEW (his contract expires in 2024). He cussed a whole bunch and whatever he said was bleeped out on the TV feed … and then the production team cut his mic and the show went to commercial break.

According to those in attendance, AEW World Champion CM Punk came out to confront MJF during the commercial break, but MJF fled through the crowd.

Source: TheSportster

Update On MJFAEW Situation, MJF And Tony Khan’s Meeting Will Take Place

According to Dave Meltzer on the latest edition of “Wrestling Observer Radio,” MJF and Tony Khan are set to meet tomorrow following the controversy surrounding AEW’s Double Or Nothing weekend.

Problems between the two sides began at the AEW Double or Nothing fan fest this past weekend as MJF no-showed a meet and greet, despite people having bought tickets. While he wasn’t the only wrestler not to appear, Samoa Joe also didn’t turn up, his situation was different as he seemingly knew he was supposed to be there and opted not to appear.

It was then reported that a plane ticket had been purchased for MJF to leave Las Vegas. However, he did not board the aircraft and fulfilled his duties at AEW’s Double Or Nothing where he competed in the opening match against Wardlow. He was defeated in convincing fashion as Wardlow hit a record 10 Powerbombs during his latest symphony of destruction. The win allowed Wardlow to get out of his contract with MJF and officially join the AEW roster, all in storyline, of course. MJF ended up being stretchered to the back.

MJF reportedly turned up just before his match and then left the building immediately after it. During the post-show media scrum, Wrestling Inc. Managing Editor Nick Hausman asked Khan about the MJF situation, but the AEW President declined to comment.

MJF is apparently set to be taken off the road for at least the next couple of weeks by AEW, although the length of his AEW TV absence could be extended.

Tensions between MJF and AEW have been well-known for several months, with the three-time Dynamite Diamond Ring winner having made several comments during interviews and on social media about his frustrations. He has also alluded to the possibility of joining WWE when his contract expires in January 2024.

Source: Wrestling Inc.

Tony Khan And MJF Reportedly Clash Following Audacious Interview

Tony Khan was reportedly unhappy with MJF following the latter’s interview with Ariel Helwani.

AEW’s locker room may not be as harmonious as it seems on the surface.

According to a recent Fightful Select report, AEW president Tony Khan got into a “heated argument” with MJF following the latter’s controversial conversation with Ariel Helwani on The Ariel Helwani Show last week. TK reportedly chastised one of his company’s most exciting young stars for failing to obtain permission from AEW’s media department before participating in the interview.

During his aforementioned appearance on The Ariel Helwani Show, MJF opened up about his AEW contract status. When asked if he would consider signing an extension to his current AEW deal MJF said there was “no chance” of that happening. He then specified that it would have to be “an absolutely astronomical number” and even then he likely wouldn’t sign because he wants to test the market.

Per Fightful, AEW sources said there would not have been an issue with the content of the MJF/Helwani interview if the wrestler has gone through the proper channels prior to the interview taking place.

In the same interview, MJF complimented WWE’s revamped developmental program NXT 2.0. “There’s so many charisma machines on that program. There is. I don’t know why you’re laughing,” MJF gushed as Helwani chuckled at his suspiciously excessive praise. “They had a make out competition this past Tuesday. Gripping television.”

UPDATE:

In an update from Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer, the issues that arose between Khan and MJF “are now said to be settled.”

Meltzer noted that although the story is true, “there was no fight” or physical altercation between MJF and Khan.

During the interview, MJF confirmed that his AEW contract expires on January 1, 2024, and admitted that he’s not afraid to “stir the pot” until then.

“So when you’re as talented, as over, and as much of a draw as me, if I want to I can bite off Tony Khan’s fingers. He knows where his bread is buttered,” MJF said. “And if that offends somebody in the locker room, which I know it does, oh well, cry about it. Get more over than me. Oh wait, that’s right, you can’t. Because I’m literally the best talker in the business, and one of the best wrestlers in the history of the business bell to bell.”

MJF emphasized that he’d end up “wherever the money is” after his AEW contract expires in 2024.

Sources: TheSportster and Wrestling Inc.