UFC Featherweight Champion Conor McGregor posted on Twitter early Monday morning announcing that he was added back to UFC 200 after being removed from the show last week for not fulfilling media obligations.
Category: MMA
UFC 197: Jones VS OSP 4/23/16 Full Card
LOCATION: MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada
CARD
INTERIM UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
Jon Jones (#1) vs. Ovince St. Preux (#6)UFC FLYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson (c) vs. Henry Cejudo (#3)Anthony “Showtime” Pettis (#3) vs. Edson Barboza (#8)
Robert Whittaker (#8) vs. Rafael Natal (#13)
Yair Rodriguez vs. Andre Fili
PRELIM CARD (FS1, 8 PM EST)
Sergio Pettis (#15) vs. Chris Kelades
Carla Esparza (#2) vs. Juliana Lima (#14)
Danny Roberts vs. Dominique Steele
Glaico Franca vs. James Vick
FIGHT PASS PRELIMS (UFC FIGHT PASS, 6:30 PM EST)
Clint Hester vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima
Kevin Lee vs. Efrain Escudero
Ronda Rousey says she’s coming back to win the title for people who believe in her
http://time.com/4300091/ronda-rousey-time-100-video/
In an interview with TIME (that you can view above) the former UFC Bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey talks about how she’s still grieving the person that thought she could win it all. She says that she has to accept that she’s not her, it’s just who she’d like to be, instead she’s who she needs to be for herself and everyone else.
It used to be that I would get out of bed with the conviction that I had to be better than I was yesterday. I guess these days its hope that gets me out of bed.
-Ronda Rousey
She compares herself to a cartoon and says that on some days not everyone is going to like what that cartoon does. She mentions that in her home she has a wall of encouraging letters from fans talking about how much she’s helped them, Rousey says now they’re helping her.
Rousey says she imagines touching her stomach one day and feeling the metal there again. She says she’s coming back to win the title for people who believed in her.
Rousey fan are not the interview is an emotional one filled with positivity and in the mist of all the sad things happening lately this one made our day.
Conor McGregor Breaks His Silence: Issues Statement On His Retirement.
We knew it wouldn’t be long before the notorious Conor McGregor spoke up about all the retirement news, I mean after all he’s known for talking right?
The featherweight champion took to his official Facebook this morning saying:
I am just trying to do my job and fight here.
I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.
I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting.
There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop.
50 world tours, 200 press conferences, 1 million interviews, 2 million photo shoots, and at the end of it all I’m left looking down the barrel of a lens, staring defeat in the face, thinking of nothing but my incorrect fight preparation. And the many distractions that led to this.
Nothing else was going through my mind.
It is time to go back and live the life that got me this life.
Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Connecticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a fuck morning show did not get me this life.
Talking to some lady that deep down doesn’t give a fuck about what I’m doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise, and I’m cool with that too, I’ve been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.
I’m coming for my revenge here.
I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep.
With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight.
I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.
I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.
But it was denied.
There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me.
So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them.
And all with one tweet.
Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good.
I must isolate myself now.
I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time.
I can not dance for you this time.
It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I’ve danced us all the way here.
Nate’s little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it.
He came in with no shit to do that last one. I’d already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out.
Maybe I’ll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.
I’m doing what I need for me now.
It is time to be selfish with my training again. It is the only way.
I feel the $400 million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway.
I am still ready to go for UFC 200.
I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.
If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don’t know what to say.
For the record also –
For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations –
I AM NOT RETIRED.
There you have it folks! Straight from the champs mouth, he’s not going anywhere. It’s interesting that this statement comes off the heels of Dana White saying that Conor’s chances of fighting at UFC 200 were very slim. He also went on to say that because of the retirement claims it can at least take up to four months before McGregor is allowed to fight again.
We still have a lot of unanswered questions here. Will we see the McGregor vs Diaz rematch in July? Or perhaps at a later date? If Diaz isn’t fighting McGregor who will be his dance partner? Or will Diaz be pulled from the card entirely? What match up can save UFC 200 when many are under the impression that both Aldo vs Edgar and Tate vs Nunes aren’t big enough to do so.
Perhaps the most important question is what does all of this mean for the featherweight division? Only time will tell.
Could Conor McGregor be joining WWE?
It’s been a crazy 72 hours in the world of MMA. Conor McGregor sent out a tweet on Tuesday that read
I’ve decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch y’all later
This sent fellow MMA fighters and fans into an uproar on social media. Many wondered what it meant for the main event at UFC 200? Who would Nate Diaz face?
We still don’t have those answers but according to Dana White Conor has to clear up the retirement comments otherwise the scheduled bout between Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar will be for the featherweight title.
The notorious one is also making headlines in the world of professional wrestling. For what it’s worth this could mean absolutely nothing but WWE super star and fellow Irish Becky Lynch posted a photo via Instagram of McGregor wearing her shirt with the caption #ComejoinMeBro. You can see the post here. https://instagram.com/p/BEZnFPBC_eX/
So what do you think guys, will we see the notorious in WWE? Is he really retired from MMA or is all of this a ploy to generate buzz for UFC 200 in July?
Report: McGregor Retires Because Of UFC Pay Dispute
Source: MSN
We finally have a reason that appears to explain Conor McGregor’s shocking and abrupt retirement announcement, and the UFC’s response of pulling him from a fight.
According to Charly Arnolt, McGregor wants around $10 million for his UFC 200 fight with Nate Diaz:
UFC President Dan White pulling McGregor from UFC 200 for refusing to promote the fight by doing press events and commercial shoots made little sense since McGregor seems to be so media-friendly and happy to promote anything for the company.
This report about the pay dispute makes all the sense in the world. McGregor wants more money and will refuse to work in order to get his way. In response, the UFC will make it seem like McGregor is not cooperating. Simply put, this appears to be nothing more than a typical athlete pay dispute.
Conor McGregor Pulled From UFC 200
UFC President Dana White announced yesterday that they have pulled UFC Featherweight Champion Conor McGregor from UFC 200, where he was scheduled to fight Nate Diaz in a rematch from UFC 196. He was pulled from the main event at UFC 200, due to his unwillingness to fly to Las Vegas and participate in mandatory promotional activities.
McGregor sent the MMA world into chaos by tweeting that he has decided to retire young.
Dana White said the following:
“We pulled Conor McGregor from UFC 200. Conor did not want to come to Las Vegas and film the commercial or be any part of the marketing that we have, he’s in Iceland training and that’s not possible. We had other incidents like this where guys didn’t want to do the press conference, you have to, he didn’t want to. He felt that leaving right now would hurt his training, but every other fighter on the card is coming. I respect Conor as a fighter and I like him as a person, but it doesn’t make you exempt, you have to do it. Is Conor McGregor retiring? Only he can answer that question, I don’t know, but he’s not fighting at UFC 200.”
Lyoto Machida Pulled From FOX Card After Drug Violation, New Co-Main, Sarah Kaufman Contract
Source: WrestlingINC
Ariel Helwani revealed on this week’s episode of The MMA Hour that former Strikeforce Bantamweight Champion Sarah Kaufman is no longer under contract to the UFC. Kaufman was removed from the UFC’s official rankings this week as well.
The UFC has yet another former Champion on the shelf following a USADA drug violation, and this time it canceled a fight. Former Light Heavyweight Champion Lyoto Machida had his fight from this Saturday’s UFC on Fox 19 show pulled after he disclosed he had been using DHEA on his pre-fight drug screen. Machida claimed that the supplement was banned in 2016, which isn’t true.
Current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier commented on all of the recent suspensions on UFC Tonight, saying “This is not the USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) pushing themselves into the sport for no reason. The UFC sought them out. They brought them in to clean this sport up and they are doing that.”
With Lyoto Machida vs. Dan Henderson pulled from this weekend’s UFC on Fox show, Rose Namajunas vs. Tecia Torres has been promoted to the co-main event. UFC posted this video of the former title challenger Namajunas preparing for the fight.
UFC Announces Historic Event At Madison Square Garden
UFC issued the following:
UFC MAKES HISTORY WITH ANNOUNCEMENT OF MAJOR EVENT AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN IN NEW YORK ON NOVEMBER 12
Second event to be announced for Upstate New York by end of 2016
Las Vegas – Following today’s landmark bill signing by Governor Andrew Cuomo to legalize and regulate professional mixed martial arts (MMA) in New York, UFC® announced that it will host a major Pay-Per-View event at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, November 12.
Additionally, UFC will be adding another live event in Upstate New York before the end of the year. The organization has pledged four events per year for the first three years after passage of the bill. The events will be held in Upstate cities such as Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, and Albany, in addition to Madison Square Garden and the Barclays Center.
Today’s bill signing and event date announcements cement mixed martial arts’ incredible future in the state of New York, and reaffirm UFC’s commitment to a market that is home to many top stars including former UFC champions Jon Jones, Chris Weidman and Rashad Evans, and countless other title contenders.
“I want to thank Governor Andrew Cuomo, Assembly Majority Leader Joseph Morelle, Senator Joe Griffo and the many other leaders in the state of New York for legalizing and regulating the sport of mixed martial arts,” said UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta. “Our commitment to bringing incredible live events to New York starts immediately, as we’ve planned a major Pay-Per-View event at Madison Square Garden on November 12. It’s going to be a historic, monumental moment for this sport and our passionate fans when the Octagon finally arrives in New York.”
“Today marks a great day for both MMA fans and New York,” said Joel Fisher, executive vice president, Marquee Events and Operations, The Madison Square Garden Company. “We think it’s only fitting that the first UFC event is taking place at The World’s Most Famous Arena and look forward to these world-class athletes becoming part of The Garden’s storied history.”
Further information about the upcoming live event at Madison Square Garden will be announced in the weeks to come.
InvictaFC signs Tiffany Van Soest
Tiffany Van Soest, one of the top female Muay Thai fighters and kickboxers in the world, has signed a deal with Invicta FC, sources told MMA Fighting on Thursday. Van Soest has long spoken about crossing over to MMA and now she’ll do so with Invicta, with her debut likely coming this summer.
Van Soest is the former Lion Fight super bantamweight and featherweight champion. The karate black belt also held the WBC Muay Thai international super bantamweight title. Van Soest hails from Southern California, but now lives and trains in Bali
The news comes on the heels of Van Soest signing with GLORY kickboxing, which MMA Fighting reported Wednesday.
Van Soest, 27, is a huge pickup for both promotions, which coincidentally have broadcast deals with UFC Fight Pass. “Time Bomb” will make her GLORY debut at GLORY 30 SuperFight Series on May 13 against Jeri Sitzes in a rematch of their 2012 Muay Thai fight, sources said. The fight will air live on Fight Pass.
Sorce: MMAFighting.com
