NJPW has announced they’re resuming operations with multiple shows this month, as well as running their first event with fans again in July.
Company chairman Naoki Sugabayashi announced NJPW has created guidelines for safely resuming events with the Japanese Sports Authority after the nation-wide state of emergency was lifted.
Sugabayashi says the company began conducting antibody testing last week on all talent, crew, trainers and other live event staff to ensure the safety of everybody at the upcoming shows.
“After careful consideration and vigilance, we have begun prepping venues for events,” he added. “Thank you for your patience throughout this process. We’d like to now announce that our first show back will take place on June 15.”
The NJPW schedule on NJPW World will be as follows:
- June 15th through the 17th; Together Project Special with matches revealed at the top of the show by the ring announcer
- June 22nd through the 24th and July 1st through the 3rd will be the start of NJPW’s New Japan Cup 2020
There will be no live audience at these events.
- July 11th; New Japan Cup finals in Osaka-Jo Hall
- July 12th; New Japan Cup winner gets a title opportunity in Osaka-Jo Hall for the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental titles against Tetsuya Naito
These shows WILL host a live audience, but at a third of the normal capacity.
“We guarantee that we will undertake all possible precautions in future shows with audiences,” he said. “The NJPW guidelines towards resuming operations will be available on the NJPW official website. Also, further measures for audience safety at live events will be revealed soon.”
Watch the video below for New Japan Cup’s first round matches, which will include both heavyweight and junior heavyweight wrestlers this year.
Source: Pro Wrestling Sheet