WWE Announces Date & Location For Return Of Saturday Night’s Main Event

WWE Saturday Night’s Main Event is making another comeback. The company announced the return of the iconic show for later this year, with the special airing simultaneously on NBC and Peacock on December 14 at 8 p.m. ET. For those interested in attending, Saturday Night’s Main Event will take place at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Long Island, New York, with tickets available to the public on Friday and pre-sale beginning tomorrow.

These specials will continue airing quarterly as part of WWE’s latest media rights deal with NBCUniversal, which was signed last year and went into effect earlier this month. In addition to the return of Saturday Night’s Main Event, the deal ensured “WWE SmackDown” made the move back to the USA Network after a stretch on Fox.

Today’s news confirms a report from earlier this month that suggested WWE was bringing back Saturday Night’s Main Event for the previously-detailed NBC primetime special. The company first introduced the show in 1985, with a series of occasional events that aired on the network until 1992. These shows sometimes offered major moments to capitalize on all the extra exposure from broadcast TV, and often featured Hulk Hogan wrestling in the main event.

More recently, the promotion revived the branding in 2022, with a series of WWE Saturday Night’s Main Event shows scheduled during that spring. However, unlike previous iterations, those events were not televised. The last televised revival took place from 2006 through 2008, with a series of five hour-long specials that also aired on NBC.

Source: Wrestling Inc

Jesse “The Body” Ventura reportedly will be returning to WWE to be apart of the commentary team for Saturday Night’s Main Event.

Report: Jesse Ventura Returning To Legendary Commentary Role For WWE Saturday Night’s Main Event On NBC

Another potential update has surfaced regarding WWE’s plans for an upcoming special on NBC this December.

As noted, WWE has filed to trademark Saturday Night’s Main Event to bring back the iconic show from the company’s past live specials on NBC.

The original WWE Saturday Night’s Main Event specials aired on NBC from 1985 to 1991, replacing Saturday Night Live. In 1992, WWE presented the special on FOX before it was discontinued.

In another update, on the latest Straight Talk with The Boss w/ Magnum TA and Greg Gagne podcast, Gagne noted that the reason WWE recently signed Jesse Ventura to a contract is to have him return to his old-school role as color-commentator for the WWE Saturday Night’s Main Event on NBC special.

“I mean, with what they’re paying those guys to come in, I think Jesse’s going to do the — they’re doing some NBC Saturday night shows, about four of them, they’re gonna use Jesse for that,” Gagne said.

This resurgence of Saturday Night’s Main Event is part of WWE’s broader media plan, and as part of it, they have inked a new agreement with NBCUniversal to bring Friday Night SmackDown back to the USA Network. The deal includes four prime-time specials on NBC each year, making the return of Saturday Night’s Main Event a fitting inclusion.

Sources: eWn and Wrestling Headlines

News On Saturday Night’s Main Event And NXT Being A Part Of WWE – FOX Deal

Image result for wwe and fox deal

With WWE officially announcing their new television deal with FOX, there has been a lot of speculation about other programming airing on the network, or their sister channel, FS1. There was a report that Saturday Night’s Main Event, which actually aired twice on FOX in 1992, might return to the network and that an announcement will come later this year or in early 2019. The report added that FOX has also agreed in principle to air NXT on FS1, although the contract hasn’t been signed yet.

On the latest edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said that while it’s possible, he was told by people in WWE and FOX that the story of adding Saturday Night’s Main Event is not true. He said that sources on both sides were told that there would not be any “added wrestling programming.”

As far as NXT moving to FS1, Meltzer once again said that while it’s always possible, he was told that there “was no chance.”

“I mean it’s possible,” Meltzer said. “I could only ask, and people that I’ve asked said that there’s no announcements coming [and] there’s nothing new. I mean, is it possible a year from now? Absolutely. Does it make sense? It actually does. If it makes sense, I could see it happening, but I was told not right now.”

During a 30 minute media call last week discussing the new deal, WWE Co-President Michelle Wilson said that they are in talks with FOX about adding additional programming on both FOX Broadcast and FS1, but seemed to suggest that it would not be in-ring content, saying that the programming discussed “would highlight other activities in WWE.” When FOX met with WWE regarding a deal in May, owner Rupert Murdoch had reportedly offered WWE a weekly studio show on FS1.

Source: WrestlingINC